14 September 2008

food and stuff


14 September 2008

Today I went to a farewell celebration for the local pastor of the Assembly of God church. It was a lovely, long service. The evangelical churches in the village support each other a lot, and the church was half-filled by members of churches other than Assembly of God. Four different chorales performed, and there were five different processions to give gifts and money to the departing pastor and his family. It was all very lovely, and I always adore a good solid two hours of singing.
I made a really fantastic lunch/dinner today! My sprouts were beautifully sprouted, so I mixed them up with a can of tuna, some tomatoes, lightly cooked onions (the onions here are way too strong for me to eat raw), chick peas, and mayonnaise. It was really delicious with my tortillas from yesterday yum.
One of the frustrating time-consuming things about living without electricity is living without leftovers. I can make a dish last for lunch and dinner, but by the time the next day dawns, it’s already growing. And since there isn’t very much here that I can safely eat raw, I have to cook for every meal. This is amazingly much easier now that I have my gas bottle and stove (I will never again overlook the formidable blessing of a gas stove) But it’s still slightly inconvenient. I really need to find out more about the ‘street food’ scene here.
At the couturiere’s atelier, the apprentis have a mid-morning snack at 10am – one of the girls is sent out with money and empty covered dishes. She comes back and we all eat together. It’s a nice little break and fun to listen to the apprentis chat in Ewe while I desperately try to eat slimy sauce and pate with my fingers (P.S. could someone send me a travel-size antibacterial hand cleaner please?)
So I know there are vendors around, but I don’t know exactly where or what they sell. Exploration time!

Current reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

No comments: