06 December 2010

return from Senegal

Dakar is amazing.

According to our standards as Togo volunteers, Accra Ghana is 'like America'
Not even close.
Dakar on the other hand...

So I wasn't too annoyed at the political swirlings currently underway in Cote d'Ivoire that threatened the possibility of return to Togo. I thought perhaps we would end up staying a few extra days in the country. I would almost certainly spend ridiculous amounts of cfa, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for real ice cream and Indian food.

But the proposed flight change for Air Ivoire involved flying into Abidjan on Sunday. And then flying from Abidjan to Togo on Monday. Over 24 hours in the capital city of a country that's not doing very well at the moment.

Luckily, Peace Corps is brilliantly set up and placed for this kind of situation and my colleague and I were able to ask Peace Corps Senegal to coordinate with Peace Corps Togo. They found us a new flight home - through Bamako, Mali, not Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire. We have arrived safe and sound and with all of our baggage intact. Hoorah.

No comments: